Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Lighter Side of Life

It's been waaaay too long since I've posted about everyday moments that make me laugh.  Every week, we have several moments that make me think, "Oh, I need to put that on the blog so I don't forget about it!"  And without fail, a few days go by before I have a chance to blog, and once I finally do have time, I can't remember what in the world happened that I thought was so funny to begin with.

But not this week.  This week I have three stories that are still in my brain, so I'm recording them right now before they depart for that unknown land where thoughts go when they leave my head.

Last Tuesday, Hannah was outside "riding her bike."  She came home a few minutes later, trick-or-treat bag in hand, holding four Snickers bars.  I asked her where she got them, and she told me she got them from Mr. Taggart, an elderly man who lives across the street.  I said, "Why did Mr. Taggart give you Snickers bars?"

"Because," she explained with a grin on her face, "I knocked on the door and said 'Trick-or-Treat.'"

This took place on October 19

I tried my best to lecture her, but it was all masked by giggles.  And Greg wasn't any better when he came home from work and heard about it.  But she did have to go across the street on Monday and give Mr. Taggart a bag with eight Snickers bars in it so she could pay him back with interest.

*****************

Last week as were driving through town, we passed a park.  Here's the conversation that ensued:

Millie:  Mom, is that Rogers Park?
Me:  No, Sweetie.  That's a different park.  It's called Klein Park.
Millie:  Climb Park?
Me:  No, not Climb Park.  Klein Park.
Millie:  Yeah, Climb Park.  That's what I said.
Me:  No, you said, "Climb Park."  I'm saying, "Klein Park."
Millie:  Right.  Climb Park.
Hannah:  No, Millie.  Klein.  "N."
Millie:  What?!  We get to climb in?!

*****************

One of our neighbors is named Doris, but Hannah accidentally calls her Ms. Dorkus all. the. time.  I constantly correct her, but I don't know if the child is ever gonna get it right.

Yesterday, Hannah came in and said, "Mom, guess what Ms. Dorkus just told me?"

I immediately corrected her and said, "Ms. Doris, Hannah.  Dorkus is a mean name that someone would use if they were name-calling, like nerd or something.  Please stop calling her Ms. Dorkus and call her Ms. Doris."

Hannah got this a-ha look on her face.  Then she said, "Okay.  Well, guess what Ms. Doris just told me?"

"What?" I asked.

"She said she actually just wants me to call her Ms. D!"

I cracked up laughing!  I guess the poor lady had finally had enough of being called a dorkus and tried to find a polite way to put an end to it!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, Sweet Friend - thanks for the laugh! I'm cracking up over here!! ;)

Gator Mommy said...

HaHaHaHa! You gave me a giggle tonight, thank you. I always forget the cute things my boys say. I need to blog about them a lot more ;-)

Cajunrose said...

Tears in my eyes laughing here....on all accounts. Funny kids you have there!!!

Mark N Yvette said...

Ok..that is TOO funny! Please file more of those away for the rest of us to enjoy!!

Kimberly said...

Too funny! Thanks for sharing.

Mom said...

It's 7 am and Dad and I are laughing so hard, tears are running down my face:)
These are the precious moments you'll remember...I hope.
I still laugh when I tell my friends about the magic pencil from the book signing.
Love you all.

Monica said...

Ok I'm laughing soooo hard I have to run to the rest room. You crack me up. Love the stories.